This winter I had the honour of photographing Cat & Cass’s Thurlby Domain Winter Wedding – and yes, it was pretty damn awesome as a matter of fact!
I knew two things from the very first moment I met Cat & Cass;
- They were my kind of people
- Their wedding was going to be awesome. I mean, come on – a dramatic Thurlby Domain Winter Wedding ceremony, reception at Amisfield, funky friends, amazing food and great wine…oh, and stunning scenery courtesy of #DamnQueenstownYou’reBeautiful!”.
And I was right – Cat & Cass’s wedding was awesome and totally stunning. The weather was just the perfect amount of sunshine and soft light. The mountains were snow-capped and looking all dramatic.
The ceremony was held in the old stone stables at Thurlby Domain. The stables are dark and moody but stunning and look amazing on camera. The ceremony was a very simple affair. The only touches they added to the stables for the ceremony were;
- A carpet aisle runner to make walking down the very uneven cobbled aisle easier.
- Candles in the candle sconces.
- A barrel from the barn at Thurlby to sign the marriage licenses on.
- Chairs for their guests.
- A portaloo hidden discreetly in the trees.
- Old metal braziers borrowed from the barn at Thurlby which they lit and set outside the stables for warmth and beauty.
Evan Paterson was the wedding celebrant. Cat chose Pussy Willow for her bouquet, which was put together beautifully by The Flower Room. Her dress was a stunning split gown design in cream silk with matching trousers. (Later, when Cat got to the reception she slipped the gown part off and looked just as stunning in matching cream silk trousers and blouse).
The Reception was at Amisfield Vineyard & Bistro and was equally as stunning. Amisfield closes early (8pm) in the evening due to licensing restrictions. However, this fitted in perfectly with Cat & Cass’s winter Thurlby Domain wedding. The short winter hours of daylight meant it was better to finish up with photos etc earlier anyway so an early reception was perfect.
Anyway, enough words, the photos tell the true story…
More Thurlby Domain Blog Posts and Resources
Do you like the idea of a Thurlby Domain Elopement or Wedding? If so, you can check out more weddings I have shot at Thurlby in the following blog posts;
Queenstown Wedding Planning Posts and Articles
If you are currently in the midst of planning your Queenstown Wedding, you might also enjoy the following Blog Posts and Real Weddings helpful and inspirational;
The Queenstown Wedding Blog (A searchable Queenstown Wedding Venue & Vendor Directory that also contains a bunch of awesome how to articles and blog posts. FYI I am the author).